A Seedling Passion for Creative Writing

     Have you ever heard of Power of the Pen? When I was in middle school, I was a member of my school's creative writing club sponsored by Power of the Pen. We practiced writing for given prompts in a certain time allotment and competed with other students across the state at events. I absolutely adored writing to the prompts, with an overwhelming majority of my stories being a bit subversive, ironic or otherwise comedic. I would like to present to you a story I wrote in March of 2017 at the age of 14. This story was awarded first place out of the competing group of seven stories. I happen to think it's a hoot! Our prompt was as follows: The Protest. Abbreviate and promote an issue of your own. 

I hope you can enjoy the satire I created, as I certainly appreciate and understand its' implications now more than I ever could have at 14.

RMNL: Spread the Word

“In elementary school, our problems seem almost meaningless. We fight over which crayon they have, or who has the newest Skechers. Those are big deals around here, kids!” I tell the 4th graders passionately. 

The group stares at me, mouths open and listening. 

“But the real problem here is marker distribution. This is an interesting and compelling problem here in elementary. Your teachers neglect to give-”

“Mr. John, my class may not know the meaning of neglect. Please try to use smaller words as they are only 4th graders.” The teacher says in a slightly annoyed tone. 

“Okay kids. Well, anyway, let me get on with it. I came to talk to you guys about my campaign. RMNL: Red Markers Need Love. I have traveled to hundreds of elementary schools and seen only one reoccurring issue. California forgets the red markers” I say.

“That's what's wrong with the education system?” The teacher asks me, seemingly baffled. 

“Well, yes, of course.” I say. “This is an extremely unknown problem, and I am here to educate everyone on the issue.”

 A small boy in the back raises his hand. 

“Yes?” I question. 

“Tell us more. I have noticed a shortage of red markers around here.”

“Yes! See, this is what I mean. About four years ago, many school districts I visited reported a drop in red markers. At first, it seemed impossible. How could there be a shortage of red? I mean, that's the best color by far... Red Markers Need Love. We need to spread awareness on taking care of these precious markers and buying more of them. I want you to help me. I want you guys to spread the word”

The class cheers and I smile happily. 

“So, you are telling me that your protest, the thing my class is sponsoring, is for equitable red marker distribution?” The teacher asks. 

“Red Markers Need Love actually. These children are the key to getting the protest taken seriously. This is a legitimate cause, Mrs.- What was your name again?”  I asked politely. 

“Mrs. Hargrave” she says. 

“Okay, Mrs. Hargrave. This is my protest. I need you to understand that I am completely serious about this and your questions put a damper on my formulating. Right now, I am alone in this protest. My flyers and posters are disregarded, but if I can get your class on my side, we will be set. RMNL or Red Markers Need Love will get us somewhere. Our protests will let the community know about the problem. We will tell the principals and administrators. It is a worthy protest.”

“Oh, my gosh, you must be insane. Mr. John. I'm going to have to ask that you leave in a civil manner.” she demands.

“What?!” I say, offended. 

“This is a ridiculous idea!” 

“Fine, but now they know. Now they know. And they will never forget!”

Mrs. Hargrave scoffs as she rolls her eyes.

“Chant with me kids. Red Markers Need Love! Red Markers Need Love!”

As I am removed from the building, I hear them chant “RMNL”, and I know they will remember. My protest will carry on. Red markers will get their well-deserved love.


Here is a retelling in my own voice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrift Your Next Outfit

Take a Deep Breath