Latest Crochet Project: My thoughts

     To me, crocheting is a beautiful fusion of mathematics and creativity. When I work on a project, there is very little in the way of right and wrong. Imperfections are reimagined as unique identifiers of the artist, unraveling work turns into a practice of patience. Luckily, I can always count on the math to let me know when I have gone terribly wrong in my stitch count or shaping.

    I find more and more that crocheting holds a special power in my personal and academic pursuits. Literally thinking in a three-dimensional space, with yarn and a hook, recalibrates my approach to problems and their solutions.

    Take, for example, my latest shirt. This is my first successful shirt that I know I will wear outside the house, either to work or casually. Don't get me wrong - I have made five shirts preceding this one. Excitement to rush through a project has previously overwhelmed my ability to see the bigger picture. Will this shirt be too short? Will I possibly be able to carry the weight of this bulky yarn sweater? Will these sleeves droop to my knees?

    For this gorgeous wine colored wool yarn, I tempered my excitement with diligent planning. I stopped to try on my partly finished shirt several times, and unraveled and restarted when necessary. I counted my stitches, and recounted them when life interrupted my cadence. I thought that this careful plodding would result in a bursting joy and pride upon weaving in my last end, and that did turn out to be true. What I had not expected was the all encompassing comfort and confidence the garment gave me. Thinking thoughtfully about my process, and not just the end goal afforded me an end product that stood out from its' predecessors.

    These photos of me in my wonderful new top are the first I have ever 'formally' taken of a fiber art project I have under my belt. I hope that you can see the pride and joy in my face for my accomplishment. For me, this project represents my commitment to slowing down. Enjoying to crochet is about truly enjoying the act of crocheting. The end product is just an incredible bonus for that mindful hard work.

    I am working to carry this mindfulness into more facets of my life. How much more enjoyable could life be if I enjoy the sights, sounds, and feelings in the moment instead of rushing to the finish line? All I know for now is that I am celebrating this success, and I think my closet is, too! 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thrift Your Next Outfit

Take a Deep Breath

A Seedling Passion for Creative Writing